Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Beet me

I've made many a delicious pizza with sliced and fried potatoes. But this was the first time I used beets. I noticed the beets sitting in my crisper (sad and neglected) when I reached for a few potatoes. I couldn't help but slice one up, fry it and add it to the pizza.


I'd been eager to make a pizza ever since I bought some Maine-made Spelt Right frozen pizza dough. This was the first time I used it, and I was very happy with the results. The crust was crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The flavor was pleasing and delicate.


Unlike the crust, nothing was subtle or delicate about these market peppers that I sliced up and piled on the pizza too. The red one was sweet, and the green one, of course, was a tongue-burning jalapeno. Ouch!


You can see I didn't shy away from topping off the pizza with those fiery green rings. But to be honest, I couldn't eat more than two of them. Thank god Adam can handle the heat better than I can, because I'd hate to see any of this delicious pizza of market veggies go to waste.


Farmers' market pizza with smoky tempeh

16 oz. Spelt Right dough, thawed
1/2 cup organic marinara sauce
1 medium red potato, sliced
1 medium beet, sliced
3 cloves garlic, sliced
1/2 sweet onion, sliced
1 medium tomato, sliced
1 hot pepper, sliced
1 sweet pepper, sliced
6 oz. smoky tempeh

Preheat oven to 475. Heat two cast iron frying pans on medium high. Coat each pan in olive oil and add potatoes to one pan and beets to the other. Cook 15-20 minutes, until the potatoes and beets are easily pierced with a fork.

Meanwhile, shape the dough into a pizza pan. Spread sauce across the center of the dough. Add a single layer of potatoes. Once you remove all the potatoes from the pan, throw in the garlic slices and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the garlic to the pizza and then cover with a layer of beets. Then add a layer of sliced tomatoes.

Add olive oil to a frying pan and fry until crispy around the edges. Remove from pan and crumble. Add to pizza. Top with onion and pepper slices. Place in oven and cook for 15-20 minutes.

7 comments:

Bianca said...

I've never thought about putting potatoes or beets on pizza, but it looks delicious. I may have to give that a try.

Anonymous said...

Tonight I am making a big, huge, veggie pizza. But no jalapenos!

J said...

I'm with Bianca, the idea of potatoes OR beets on a pizza would have never crossed my mind, but I can see how it would be good. I may have to try that sometime.

Oh, that jalapeno, it looks good! I'm a little bit of a spice freak though, I would probably put habaneros on pizza if Brett wasn't eating it too.

Anonymous said...

What a great way to use all those farmer's market veggies! That pizza looks SO satisfying! Yum!

Anonymous said...

Love beets--interesting idea. Glad you tried the Spelt Right dough. Those guys are our neighbors in the Sparhawk Mill.

VeganCowGirl said...

Great look pizza!

Lovlie said...

Wow! I'm gonna have to make pizza this weekend...or very soon!