Saturday, May 17, 2008

Thai one on

I'm a huge fan of Thai food, and in fact Adam and I chowed down at Pom's Thai Taste last night. So delicious. Tonight, with little time to spare for dinner, I still managed to whip up a Thai-inspired dish. Here's how you can too.

Thai peanut noodles

7 oz. rice noodles
boiling water

Sauce:
2 Tbsp. organic olive oil
1/4 cup finely diced organic onion
1/4 cup organic peanut butter
1 cup water
1/4 cup Thai chili sauce
1/4 cup organic soy sauce
1/2 cup crushed organic peanuts
1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
1 organic lime

Stir fry:
2 Tbsp. organic olive oil
2 cloves organic garlic, finely diced
1 large organic onion sliced in strips (I used a Vidalia)
1 organic carrot, sliced diagonally
1 cup frozen, organic broccoli

In a sauce pan, add oil and saute onion until translucent. Add peanut butter, water, Thai chili sauce and soy sauce. Simmer for 1/2 hour (or longer) to thicken. (If you're pressed for time, like I was, add a tsp. of whole grain flour to thicken.) Add peanuts, sesame oil and the juice of the lime. (Word to the wise: If you're not an organic freak like me, do consider going organic when you eat peanuts and peanut butter. Peanuts are widely grown as a rotation crop with cotton, and cotton is one of the most chemical intensive crops in the US. Of course the peanuts pick up all those toxic nasties. And who wants to eat defoliants for dinner?)

In a wok or stir fry pan, heat the garlic in olive oil for 1-2 minutes. Then add onions and saute for 2-3 minutes and then add the carrots. Saute another minute or two and then add the broccoli.

Meanwhile, boil water. Place the rice noodles in a deep bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Steep a minute or two and then drain.

Once the broccoli is heated through, it's done. Add the noodles to a plate, top with veggies and then sauce. I sprinkled this with a few chopped onion greens from Sunshine Farm (aka the commune).

2 comments:

Lovlie said...

I love stir fries! They are so quick and tasty!
And yours looks so fresh!ojfqh

Anonymous said...

I think if I was doomed to eat only one thing for the rest of my life, I would opt for thai food! This looks perfect (well almost, perfect would be on my table, next to my martini!)