Monday, June 2, 2008

My weekend crush

I made my first sojourn of the season up to Sunshine Farm this weekend for my uncle's 50th birthday celebration. It was a wonderful party, and it was such fun to see so many of my relatives. My uncle looked great, and I can't believe how quickly my little cousins are growing up!

Before I left, I grabbed a handful of lemon balm from one of my mother's herb gardens. This member of the mint family has to be one of my all-time favorite herbs. Lemon balm's smell is heavenly and its flavor is the essence of summer. We often use it in iced teas and you can rub it on your skin to keep mosquitoes away. Because I was headed back to the city, I tucked it in my bag knowing it would be the perfect addition to a cocktail.

I used an organic Santa Cruz tangerine soda as a mixer, but freshly squeezed lemon would work well too.

Lemon balm crush

2 sprigs lemon balm
1 Tbsp. Maine maple syrup
1 oz. Cointreau
1 oz. rum
1/2 of a can of organic citrus soda
ice

Add one sprig lemon balm and maple syrup to glass. Muddle the lemon balm briefly. Add the Cointreau, rum and soda and stir. Fill glass with ice and garnish with the remaining sprig of lemon balm. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Looks like you have some wonderful recipes here. I'm excited about browsing around.

urban vegan said...

Looks mighty refreshing. I'm a sucker for anything with Cointreau. We've run out--and it's sooo expesive.

Anonymous said...

holy Molly! I wouldn't mind a sip or two of this.

Anonymous said...

I'll take one right now please!