Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sauté 3 ways

I'm a huge fan of green vegetables, especially whenever I can score them fresh from the farm (like this pac choi I got at the farmers' market). However, I never boil them and only rarely use my steamer. My favorite way to prepare greens is a simple garlic soy sauté. Here's how:
Garlic soy sauté

5 cups fresh baby rainbow chard (or whatever green you have on hand)
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
Organic extra virgin olive oil
Organic soy sauce

Heat a stir fry pan or wok over medium high heat and add a Tbsp. or so of oil. Add garlic and stir for 1 minute. Then add greens and a few shakes of soy sauce. Stir the greens until wilted, 2-3 minutes. Serve immediately. Makes enough for 2.
This technique works for all sorts of veggies, including fiddleheads (above) and broccoli. The flavor is absolutely amazing for a recipe so simple.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've never tried greens this way! Must try, yum!

Marisa L. S. said...

Funny, I just finished my stir fried broccoli. I sauteed some garlic and ginger in a teaspoon of sesame oil, then sauteed the broccoli with some tamari and topped it with sesame seeds. YUM!

Bianca said...

I keep seeing these cute little fiddlehead ferns on blogs, but until recently, I'd never even heard of them. They're adorable. I wish I could find some around here.